Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Birdwatching

Last Friday I went out birdwatching on my own since no one wanted to come with me. It was a good time to get out of the house and relax a bit.

I drove to Lake Ahquabi and drove around to see if there were any birds around and active. I wasn't having much luck, but then I saw some Dark-eyed Juncos (slate-colored race).




That's about all I could see at Ahquabi, but as I was leaving I was lucky enough to spot and capture on "film" this Red Tail Hawk.



I then drove up to Banner Lakes. I was truly blessed to spot this diving duck. I believe it is a Gadwall. He was diving like mad and I never could guess where he would pop up next! A lifer for me :)




Then, I spotted a American Crow. Very common, but I like this picture. Very Halloweenish :)



Also seen at Banner Lakes was a turtle sunning itself !


On the way out of the Banner Lakes area, I spotted a bunch of blackbirds. A huge flock of them. I think there were some Brewer's Blackbirds, possibly some Grackles, and a few Red-Winged Blackbirds as well.



Lastly, just before my camera died, I spotted another diving duck, and a few American Coots. I didn't recognize them at first because I'm used to seeing them in groups of a dozen or more, and I only saw 3.

No comments: