Thursday, February 10, 2011

Tara's Favorite Bag - the zipper - part 1

Okay, now don't be scared, but we are going to add a zipper :)

First off, we need to measure the bottom of our bag. (between the boxed corners.)


Mine measures 15 1/2" and so I will cut my zipper fabric to 3 1/2" x 16". (two pieces)

I will then fold them right sides together, and stitch ONLY the short sides.  I then trim the corner and turn it right side out.  Press them neatly.


I then pin the folded side of this fabric to my zipper.  One piece of fabric on each side of the zipper, being sure that the ends of the fabric match up across the zipper. 

The following pictures show me stitching the one piece of fabric one to the zipper.  I always stitch to my zipper twice. The pictures show better then I can explain it with words.

 And wahlah .. the finished zipper piece.  You will notice that I left some length of zipper at the "bottom" end .. atleast an inch .. two inches would be fine as well, and the rest of the zipper is at the "top".  I actually used a 22" zipper, instead of the 18" that I put in the requirements because that is what I had on hand... 18" would be the minimum size you'd want for this bag.
I've got to run, but I'll try to post the next part soon!

No comments: