Tuesday, June 12, 2012

May & Memorial Day Trip Part 1

This is what I've been up to . . .

At the end of May, I saw a cardinal pair in our front yard.


Here is another picture of the beautiful flowering bush right outside our front door.  Someone told me it could be a Weigela Bush.  I haven't verified that yet.

 Joel was busy at School - He had a science fair project.  The showing for the parents was Thursday night before Memorial Day.  We stayed just a short time as we needed to get on the road to Iowa.
 Here's a picture of the sunset on the way to our hotel that Thursday night . . .
 We got to the hotel at a fairly decent time.  I had found this hotel online.  It's Fennimore Hills Hotel just west of Fennimore, WI.  It's not fancy, but the rooms are big.  The one thing I would have liked is a curtain or something across the bathroom area.  The toilet and shower were in a very small enclosed room with a door, but then the sink and mirror were fully open to the rest of the room.  A curtain would have been nice.
 They had this nice gazebo in the back of the motel.  I had the boys pose for a picture.

 The next morning, Friday, we stopped at Wyalusing State Park to see what we could see.  I'm so glad we did.  Here's the first big view we saw, just a short walk from one of the parking lots.
 Here's proof that I was there too. :)
 Behind us you see the area where the Wisconsin River meets the Mississipi River, and the town over there is Prairie Du Chen.  It was an amazing view. We drove to another part of the park, and saw even more great views.
 Here is a bird I saw way up in the tree.  I couldn't see it well with the binoculars I have.  I really need to get new ones.  Someday.  I think it's possible it's a Indigo Bunting, but I'm not sure. It was so far away, and this is the best photo I have of it. If you know what it is, please let me know!
 I saw this mystery bird a bit later.  Haven't a clue what it is... so again, if you know, please comment!
 Here is Joel and Rob at the beginning of a trail to a cave we wanted to see.  I was hopeful that the trail wouldn't kill me ... lol .. Wyalusing is in an area of lot's of cliffs and steep inclines.  This trail was pointed out as one us novices may be able to do.
 The trail was absolutely beautiful... but going down hill on the way to the cave, I appreciate the beauty of the area, but was getting concerned about how steep it would be on the way back to the van!

 Joel was enjoying himself .. and Seth .. at times liked it, but would have rather stayed in the van reading.

 Saw this bird on the way to the cave.  I think it might be a Wood Thursh.  Again, not positive, so if you know something I don't, please comment.



We finally made it to the cave.  It was certainly interesting. 



 But it was a lot of work to get back to the van.  I think it's great we went once, but I'm not sure I would do that trail again without a lot of pre-trip training!

I'll share more about Memorial Day weekend and the photos I have taken since then in the next post.

Have a great day!

No comments: