Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New Life :)

The past couple of days have found me taking a lot of pictures of the yard and birds, etc.  I noticed today, that it's mostly centered around new life.  Let me know what you think.

Yesterday I looked outside the front window to see this family of Finches.  I don't know what 'dad' was teaching the youngsters at this sedum.  But I'm sure it was very important.  They all, but one, seemed to be paying close attention.  That one seems to have a wandering mind. :)

A short time later, they were all gathered around 'dad' a little ways away on the ground.  Looks like one still wanted dad to feed him/her.

I noticed the past few days that this bush just off our front walkway is in full bloom.  Do you know what it is called?  I really don't know, but I absolutely LOVE the flowers!  I adore pink and green together like this.  I may have print one of these photos and frame it.


This morning I was outside putting in some hostas that I got from a fellow Belgium-er off of freecycle. I placed all but one plant around this bird maple. 

The entire time I was working under this tree, the chickadees were busy all around me.  One of them was hopping around in the maple right above me.  I was able to get a picture of him/her before I went in the house.  I swear, it was only a few feet above me.  I wonder if it was okay because there was branches and leaves between us, or maybe it just knew I wouldn't hurt it.  Either way, I was glad for the company.

Here's another chickadee that the first one was talking to all morning. This one was a bush or two over from where I was working.

Last week, I put in two small raised beds in the front yard.  I'm transplanting some plants from the south border to see if they'll do better in a raised bed.  They weren't doing so well where they were, so here's hoping.


Finally, I walked around the house, trying to get photos of some of the baby birds we have living here. This next nest is a Robin's nest that is in an arborvitae on the SE corner of the house.  This group is very loud when feeding.

As I was walking along the south side of the house, I noticed a few more photo opportunities.  :)




This nest is also a Robin's nest, but these baby's are much bigger.  I tried to stay a bit away, as I didn't want to scare them out of the nest too early.  They should be fledging soon though .. look how big they are! This one is located just outside our back patio door.  Again, in an arbevitae :)

Another photo opportunity.  Beautiful contrast right?

As I was heading into my bedroom to get cleaned up, I heard a loud racket taking place right outside the south window.  I walked over there to see what was happening, and I saw this little guy.  I literally laughed because he is so ugly that he's adorable! :)  I believe it's a baby grackle and he was complaining very loudly and for a very long time.  He's probably still complaining if mom or dad hasn't come back yet!  The nest must be behind him in the arbivitae ... I didn't know it was there, but then again, I am sure there are a lot of nests that I'm not aware of.  Lots of bird activities going on in our yard. 

So now you see.  Lots of new life being celebrated in our yard.  :)

No comments: