Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Green Grocery Bag Challenge

I'm a huge fan of using fabric or re-usable grocery bags EVERY time I shop.  I don't use them just for groceries either.  I grab one when I go into JoAnn's, or Hobby Lobby, Best Buy or WalMart, Bed Bath & Beyond or Bath & Body Works.  Wherever you would normally get a plastic or paper bag, bring your own and do your part to decrease the amount of trash that's created!

Here are a few links to help you on your exploration of this concept :) (sounds important doesn't it?) *grin*

Stash Books Blog  has a great article on this very thing .. which prompted me to write this post, btw.

They even have a great post about re-usable lunch bags.

There's a formal Green Grocery Bag Challenge on facebook.

Here's a link that shows you how to make a fabric bag that looks very much like the ones you get at WalMart, Target, and HyVee.  However, this one is just a single fabric thickness, and if you are using basic quilting cotton or even cotton/poly blend, you may want to double up the fabric to make it stronger. 

I have one bag that I used a regular plastic bag as my template, cut out a liner and an outside, and then stitched them together using these instructions.
This is my favorite fabric bag.  (using the standard plastic bag as a template.)

My favorite takes a little bit of time, but this one is very quick and easy ... It's from Lazy Girl Designs.  They have a lot of great bag designs...numerous and inventive.  I love just browsing through their site for ideas.

Well, that's about all I have to say on that .. other then I would LOVE to see some of you bags that you make, from any of these patterns, or from your own!

I LOVE BAGS !!!

No comments: