Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ham & Broccoli Ring Recipe

I thought I'd share with you my baking adventures :)  I made this for supper Sunday night.
If you want to try this, please let me knowhow it turns out, and note that I list my ideas for improvement at the end of this post!  I would change it next time!

Ham & Broccoli Ring

1/2 of a 1/2 of a turkey ham.  (I buy turkey ham in the half-ovals... so half of one of those. Can be any type of ham.)
1/2 of a crown of broccoli
1/2 of a medium onion
scoop of sour cream (maybe 1/4 cup?)
couple handfulls of shredded cheddar cheese.
2 tubes of crescent roll dough.

Place your crescent dough in a circle on a pan.  I used a foil lined pan, but I think a stone would have been much better.  With your points to the outside, press and widen the center of the circle so you have a nice place to put your mixture.

Place all other ingredients in a food processor and make into a fine mixture.  I processed the ham, brocolli and onion separately, but you certainly could do them all together.

Spread the mixture on top of the dough.  Then fold your points into the center and tuck them under to "seal".

Bake at 375 until golden brown.

Before Baking.

After Baking

Okay .. it wasn't terrible .. but here's what I would do to make it better .. I would lave the ham and cheese amounts alone, but decrease the broccoli and onion.  I would also use thawed cheese, not frozen, as it made it too moist and I had liquid running around the bottom, which made the dough not crisp like it should have.  I would also bake it longer .. even if I had to cover the browner parts with foil so the inside and bottom would have a chance to get more done.  The boys hated it .. but I liked it ok and so did dh .. but it could be better with those changes.

No comments: